Principal photography was done with a Canon T2i with two sets of L-series lenses, with T1i backup camera making up the rest of of the gear. A laptop was used for ingest, and two backups were made of each dataset immediately, to be stored in the car (unfortunately the coolest place during the entire shoot).
Aaron and I shot some tests in the weeks leading up to the shoot, to determine that we need 2x ND filters to stop down enough in order to achieve the depth to field that we wanted. Unfortunately we only managed to get 3 filters for both cameras, so we typically made sure that A-camera was always properly ND’ed while the B-camera was not always as shallow DOF as we wanted.
Because of the number of setups, we chose to go handheld as much as possible, setting down onto tripods mainly for the shots requiring vfx composites. Action scenes were typically choreographed and shot with both cameras for backups.
We also devised a method to preview shot setups using a laptop and a USB link, but that very quickly fell by the wayside as we discovered that it slowed down our setups since it required more coordination. We ended up doing it the old fashioned way – Aaron would set up the shot, I would take a look through the lens and then we would just roll camera..